New York Immigration Penalties Attorney
Be Aware of Penalties for Immigration Crimes
Contact a New York Immigration Defense Lawyer
The New York Times reported in January of 2009 that “Federal prosecutions of immigration crimes . . .[had reached] more than 70,000 immigration cases in the 2008 fiscal year.” Both Americans and foreigners are increasingly charged with immigration crimes such as the following (with penalties):
- Alien smuggling — fines, prison of not more than 10 years or both
- Domestic transporting of aliens ( human trafficking) — sentences up to five years in prison if not for profit, or up to 10 years if for profit, and if anyone was injured or killed as a result, enhanced penalties up to the death penalty
- Illegal entry into the United States — fines, jail and/or deportation
- Re-entry after deportation — fines, prison and deportation with very little likelihood of ever being allowed to immigrate legally
- Conspiracy to “conspiracy to commit or aid or abet” any immigration crime — fines and/or prison
As is reflected in the information above, penalties for immigration crimes typically include fines, prison time and/or deportation. A U.S. citizen convicted of an immigration crime will of course not be deported — but a criminal conviction can harm you in many ways for the rest of your life.
There may or may not be a good explanation behind the actions that led to you being charged with an immigration crime. Regardless of the circumstances, your best chances at attaining a favorable outcome will no doubt be through the advocacy of a knowledgeable attorney.
To give yourself the opportunity to put forward an intelligent defense if you have been charged with an immigration crime, contact the Law Office of Mark J. Sacco today
The cost of hiring the wrong lawyer can compromise the rest of your life. Don’t take chances by waiting until it’s too late. To schedule a free consultation with a lawyer at our New York law office call 518-380-6005 or contact us online.
Free Consultation | All Major Credit Cards Accepted | 24-Hour Phone Service