New York Menacing Defense Lawyer
Have You Been Charged With Menacing Another Person?
Contact Albany Criminal Defense Attorney Mark J. Sacco
According to the law, a person is guilty of menacing someone if he or she used a weapon to threaten or cause fear in someone. The physical act itself is the “menacing” behavior. The weapon itself could be anything that might harm someone else — even a piece of broken glass, a stick or an automobile. Menacing charges may be added on to other charges such as domestic violence — but every crime that you are charged with must be specifically addressed in a comprehensive defense.
Is the “Menacing” Charge a Trumped-Up or Add-On Charge?
“Menacing” charges are especially likely to develop by way of exaggeration of an altercation. Witnesses often cannot be trusted to tell the truth in such cases, since they are likely to be affiliated with, or sympathetic to, one side of the conflict or the other. Therefore, menacing charges often arise in a “he said, she said” type scenario, when the most important evidence is the credibility of the parties involved.
Things to Keep in Mind When You Have Been Charged With a Crime Like Menacing
As with any criminal charges, an experienced and knowledgeable attorney will remind you of the following key principles if you have been accused of menacing someone:
- It is the burden of the prosecution to prove charges against you beyond a reasonable doubt.
- Law enforcement agents may appear friendly as they question you about an instance of alleged menacing when in fact, they may be searching for justification to arrest you. Trying to explain yourself to the police may be one of the worst things that you can do.
- There are few times in life when your entire future hangs more in the balance than when you have been accused of a criminal act such as menacing someone. It is most definitely worth any sacrifice or effort you must make to ensure that you have the most skillful, zealous and experienced defense lawyer on your side.
- There is no time to waste. Your need for a strong defense begins from the moment you become aware that you are accused, may be charged or have been charged with a crime.
- Criminal defense is not a suitable “do-it-yourself” endeavor or an area fit for amateurs. While your family may have a competent “family lawyer” who has handled real estate transactions, divorce or bankruptcy well enough, someone who focuses exclusively in criminal defense is highly recommended.
Contact the Law Office of Mark J. Sacco, PLLC, Today
The selection of the wrong lawyer can compromise the rest of your life. Don’t take chances. To schedule a free consultation with a lawyer at our Albany or Schenectady, New York, law office, call 518-631-4046 or contact us online.
Free Consultation | All Major Credit Cards Accepted | 24-Hour Phone Service